Topic: Alarming crime rate in Kerala: Legalise prostitution(one step)

We come across daily reports of crime against women and children, shocking incidents of molestation of 1 yr old by a 70 yr old etc.  Sex rackets are rampant in kerala. Will legalising prostitution lead to a decline in these tendencies?  Views and suggestions.

Re: Alarming crime rate in Kerala: Legalise prostitution(one step)

Big punishments and high fines can reduce crimes. See gulf countries for example.

Prostitution is some what 'legalized' in some areas of Mumbai, and what.... Mumbai is number one in criminal acts. So I do not believe it is a solution.

I think molestation of 1yr old boy by a 70yr old is just an odd-one-out case. It have something to do with treatment of mental disease. But we have to take it seriously when a 9yr old boy rapes 3yr old girl. This also happened in near past.

PraVeeN
PMP | Tech blog | PM blog

@ninethsense, From a conservative point of view, what you say might look good.

But, Big punishments and high fines in gulf countries makes them to travel to lots of south east countries like Thailand and Philippines for sex tourism. I have been in these countries for many months and have seen arabs spending their oil money like water on girls.

If you look at developed countries, prostitution is legalized. So the crime rates is also low.

Looking from the other angle, prostitution cannot be abolished in India. It has been the oldest trade and it is just impossible to curb it. End of the day, it makes trafficking rampant and lots of women are being harrassed. They get raided by cops during month ends and when the bribe amount does not reach properly. They just come back to this trade after being produced in the court and released. It is a big illegal money making business too.

Legalization will stop human trafficking and reduce crime against women and children. Recognizing this "trade" will make money accountable to an extent (after all other big holes in our financial system are plugged). The health of the women in this can be monitored and HIV/aids can be prevented by issuing health cards and mandatory health checks to registered sex workers. Prostitution can be regularized and allowed in DRAs if not stopped completely. All these information are based on what I have seen in countries like Singapore where they have legalized and kept the crime rates low, not just because of heavy fines and big punishments alone.

Indeed a huge concern but the most alarming thing is child abuse. There was a recent news report regarding Kovalam (cant retrace the url now) and the numbers mentioned really sent down shivers considering the fact that this place is just right next door!

May be trafficking in the name of tourism is what needs to stop first?

There is something rotting in our own backyard as well as rightly mentioned by Praveen that needs to be fixed? Repressed minds and suppressed emotions fueled by lack of education and ill gotten wealth?

-----------------------

Tvmnewcomer @

# to travel to lots of south east countries like Thailand and Philippines for sex tourism.

Would I be wrong if I said generalizing Thailand or Philippines is not appropriate? Ofcourse the kind of tourism you have mentioned exists there but infact it is an even bigger issue in India. It is likely that you ended up at the wrong part of the town when you visited those places? Just mentioning since profiling a whole country like that would be too inhuman.

# Recognizing this "trade" will make money accountable to an extent

Can we afford to make an Amsterdam of India?

kk

PS: Would recommend anyone to watch the the documentary by Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski, Born into Brothels.

----------------------
#include(kk_thk)
----------------------

ninethsense wrote:

Big punishments and high fines can reduce crimes. See gulf countries for example.

Prostitution is some what 'legalized' in some areas of Mumbai, and what.... Mumbai is number one in criminal acts. So I do not believe it is a solution.

I think molestation of 1yr old boy by a 70yr old is just an odd-one-out case. It have something to do with treatment of mental disease. But we have to take it seriously when a 9yr old boy rapes 3yr old girl. This also happened in near past.

Big punishments and high fines can be bypassed if one has political support or his sentence will be reduced on auspicious occasions. So, who is afraid of punishments in India? The complete Judicial system has to revamped for criminal justice to spread respect & fear among public.

yikes  I do all the Wrong Things in the Right Way. smile

Rose, I think we are confusing things by mixing up proposed stuff with existing system smile

If we impose my proposal, definitely the political system also must change.

tvmnewcomer wrote:

If you look at developed countries, prostitution is legalized. So the crime rates is also low.

If we take example of US, are you sure crime rate is low? smile. My friend, who is a teacher in US says they dare to go for teaching in colleagues which are a bit away from main cities. Because students bring guns, knifes etc. to class rooms.

PraVeeN

What I suggested was to legalise the oldest profession to stop crimes presumably accruing from it ie crimes specifically against women and children.  Bringing guns and knives to college fall under a different category. Tvmnewcomer has put the fact in its correct perspective I feel, but to each his own views. Hope more people join this bandwagon and put in their views.

All comes under one category "crime". Root cause of all the issues will be same if we analyze. Let us wait for more views.

PraVeeN